Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Cancer saved my dad's life!

Last week I shared with you about it being easier to convince a 60-year-old man to run a marathon than it was to lead him to Jesus (http://writingsbyshay.blogspot.com).  That man, my father, completed many marathons before I heard him pray for the first time in my life.  I am elated that today he openly shares with us his faith in Jesus.  The final steps, in my opinion, to get him to that place thrust my father into an entirely new marathon that he is now running.  My son’s favorite bible story, David and Goliath, helps define what he is experiencing.

Wednesday July 12th, 2017, my dad went to the hospital with what we thought was dehydration.  Just two days later the doctors found a cancerous brain tumor.  My dad has always been healthy.  So much so that he was able to take up running marathons at the age 60.  His body was ready to fight cancer and he is as mentally tough as anyone.  The following Monday while he was in a recovery room, my 5-year-old son brought in his pictorial action Bible and shared with his grandpa his favorite bible story.  It was the story of David and Goliath (1 Samuel).   We were fortunate enough to capture that moment in the picture attached.  My dad was facing a new Goliath in his life, cancer.  He began fighting with all his might from the very first day.  And, just a few days after receiving his diagnosis, my dad did something that I had never remember seeing him do before.  He prayed with us!

I do not always understand why things happen.  I cannot sit here and tell you that God allowed cancer to overtake my dad’s body so He could overtake his heart.  I can tell you that cancer did overtake my dad’s body and God has overtaken His heart!  I am upset that he has cancer.  I get frustrated, sad, disappointed, heartbroken, discouraged, angry, etc. knowing he must battle cancer.  With all those strong feelings trying to distract me (Satan’s handiwork), I can tell you with full honesty that I have a peace that surpasses all understanding when it comes to my dad and his new battle.  I believe I fully understand what Paul tells us in Philippians 4:7 “And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”  My dad is battling cancer, but it just may have been the final step in bringing him to a place of eternal life.  He is now following in the footsteps of Jesus and will someday live eternally by His side in Heaven.  The joy that brings to the heart of God and me vastly overshadows any challenges he will face along his battle.  I have peace knowing my dad knows Jesus!

This story is not about my dad’s cancer, and it is not about my peace that surpasses all understanding.  This is a real-life example of one man’s journey to Jesus.  His path to Jesus looks different than mine and maybe yours.  We all come to Him in our own ways.  The most important fact is that we come to know Jesus.  His parents took him to church at a young age.  I shared my faith with him for 20+ years.  Others have shared the word of God with him.  My family, including my 5-year-old son, shared verses and bible stories with him.  I believe cancer is part of his journey to Jesus too.  My dad now prays!  My dad now talks about his faith!  My dad even shared with me that he has comfort knowing that his father, my grandpa, will be in Heaven after his passing just 19 months ago.  Amen!  I pray you can grasp just a small portion of the power of God working in this story.  Take a moment if you will a look at the picture attached.  The stillness and peace in this imagine radiates the kingdom of God.  You can see a 5-year-old boy with childlike faith being a disciple to his 63-year-old grandfather.  This child is sharing his favorite story about David and Goliath without knowing that his grandpa is beginning his battle with his own giant that very day!  There is pure joy in the hearts of both man and child during a dark day.  The power of God is so great that He can bring hope and joy to even our darkest of moments!  Cancer saved my dad’s life!






No comments:

Post a Comment

2022 Back Porch League Annual Story in the Standings

  The sun is shining, and the sweat is rolling as I sit here on our Back Porch today.   The All Star game is over and in our league as in ...