The Holy Spirit was tapping on my shoulder this week to share the good news about 2020. We’ve heard it more times this year that most that “it’s a crazy year” or “I’m done with 2020” or “Can we just skip to January 1st”. I completely understand the perspective we are coming from when we utter these phrases. Also, most of us are being impacted by the events that have transpired this year that we find solace in mourning or lamenting about 2020 together. I get it. I too am ready for life to get back to “normal”. But can I say this, I’m thankful for the experience of 2020. Before you delete this email without continuing, please hear me out.
A long time ago a man and a woman choose to disobey God and partake in an apple from the tree of life. Ever since that time, life for man has been “crazy”. We have had to struggle and endure pain. There has been highs and lows in each life that has came along since. Even after Jesus came and sacrificed His life for us just over 2000 years ago, we were not guaranteed a life of ease. Yes, we were given hope that someday we can join Him in Heaven. Praise God! But, being His disciple did not dismiss us from the challenges on earth. It may make life here even tougher. You have most likely heard the story of Adam and Eve many times before and know that we’ll face tough times. But are you like me and sometimes get comfortable and forget the truths in these stories?
I thankful for 2020 because it offers us a chance as men and as a church to stop and look at our lives in a new perspective. We are all struggling and ready to be done with this year. But there are others out there where 2020 is great compared to the other years in their life. People have suffered loss, abuse, illness, sorrow, loneliness, fatigue, unemployment, etc. well before January 1st, 2020. People will continue to experience these things after January 1st, 2021 and until Jesus comes back. My prayer for the church (all believers worldwide) is that we learn from our collaborative experience in 2020. Sometimes we must be stripped of our comforts, get beaten down and feel like we are left for dead alongside the road to truly appreciate the actions of a Good Samaritan. In my humble opinion, 2020 is providing us that opportunity and for that I am thankful!
Thank you for lending your ear today. I hope you feel encouraged that we can learn and grow not only from the trials of 2020 but from all things that we do. There are both believers and non-believers out there today that need our love. The Good Samaritan modeled to us what that looks like. Jesus’s death on the cross modeled to us what that looks like. Let’s remember that today. Let’s remember that on New Year’s Day. Let’s remember that when Covid-19 is gone. Let’s remember to love as Jesus loved! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Thanks for being part of the church and please help me make sure that NO MAN IS LEFT BEHIND!
No comments:
Post a Comment