Monday, December 7, 2020

"I miss your smile, feels like miles, six feet apart"

I hope are enjoying the warmth of the sunshine today!  It does not quite feel like Christmastime outside, but we are in the heart of advent.  Christmas is near!

On Saturday morning I was on a coffee date with my two oldest daughters.  We were at Revocup South (wonderful coffee and people) and there was a young man named Connor playing the guitar and singing for the patrons.  The atmosphere was a blessing and the music was soothing.  We enjoyed some holiday songs, and, at some point, Connor began playing a song called “Six Feet Apart” by Alec Benjamin.  A few of the lyrics caught my ear and then he came to the line that goes “I miss your smile, feels like miles, six feet apart”.  The line struck me instantly.  A mere six feet right now feels like a million miles to many people.  That reminder breaks my heart.

It is no surprise this year that social distancing is now a common term.  It is also no surprise that 6 feet seems to be the standard for that distancing.  But after separating ourselves from others simply by 6 feet for the past months, I fully believe that many of us feel that 6 feet might just as well be miles.  I miss shaking the hand of people I meet.  I do not like the awkwardness of do we shake hands, can we give a bro-hug, should I resort it an air high five.  It’s not natural for me.  I’m a hand shaker.  I love to see the smiles on the faces of others when I’m in the community.  When I’m out for a walk or run I’m that guy that waves and smiles at almost everybody.  Now on the those same walks the person approaching often ventures into the grass or even into the street to pass me.  I’m still showering and wearing deodorant, so it must be Covid-19 directing this behavior.  I do not think I’m alone in my feelings here.  There is a lot of truth in the lyrics “I miss your smile, feels like miles, six feet apart”.

My message today is not intended to discourage you.  Many, many, many hearts are lonely this year as a result of the physical separation from others.  God did not design us this way.  Right at the beginning of the bible in Genesis 2:18 God said it is not good for man to be alone, so He made him a helpmate.  It’s been that way ever since.  Even as we prepare for the celebration of Jesus’ birth, we are reminded that God sent His son, Jesus, to be with us – Immanuel (Isiah 7:14).  So, as we continue the Advent season, can I encourage you to spend time daily praying for those who are lonely.  Colder days are approaching.  We will be inside even more that we have been for the past 9 months.  Many people are lonely; it might even be you that is lonely.  Even while we around one another this year, we often feel miles and miles apart. But don’t forget that God is ALWAYS with us!  Hallelujah! 

Thanks for spending some time with me today.  I absolutely love music and many times my thoughts are spurred by lyrics I hear.  But I can also say that I love God even more than music and His Holy Spirit guides the words and thoughts I share with you.  Have a blessed day today and please help me ensure that no man is lonely today by making sure that NO MAN IS LEFT BEHIND!

If you want to listen to the song “Six Feet Apart” by Alec Benjamin, here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBET-22qits.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2022 Back Porch League Annual Story in the Standings

  The sun is shining, and the sweat is rolling as I sit here on our Back Porch today.   The All Star game is over and in our league as in ...