Monday, January 11, 2021

Sudden Branch Drop Syndrome - Don't let this happen in your walk with Jesus

Happy Monday!  I hope you’ve had a chance think about what it means to be MEN ON THE ROOF.  I would love to hear from you about your thoughts on that.  It is imperative that we work together as believers possibly now more than ever so that we can avoid an infestation of “sudden branch drop syndrome”.  This normally occurs in trees, but I think we are susceptible to something very similar.

First, a little background.  Last summer I went into our backyard to find a large, healthy branch on the ground.  There were no storms or wind the previous days, so I found this to be very odd and concerning.  After a little research I stumbled upon this from aboristnow.com:

"Sudden branch drop syndrome is an issue that typically occurs during the summer and affects completely healthy trees. Essentially, it’s when trees suddenly lose their branches during the warmer months of the year. Here are some other facts to know about this problem:

  • It is also referred to as either sudden limb failure or summer branch drop

  • Wind and storms have nothing to do with the branches falling – it happens on calm days

  • Typically the limb in question will break about 3 feet out from the trunk of the tree, due to the weight

  • The drop can expand out to about 12 feet away from the trunk, making this a serious safety issue

  • This typically happens to older trees over younger trees

  • No exact cause for this syndrome has been determined by professionals at this point

  • Some experts believe it’s caused by moisture, others believe it may be from bacteria

  • Once a tree has experienced sudden branch drop syndrome, it likely will again”

My fear of our tree dying was quieted after reading this and I went on my way.  But recently I heard a pastor reference John 15: 5-8 and I was reminded that we too are branches.  Immediately the sudden limb failure took on an entirely new meaning to me.  As I revisited the definition I found online above, I was hit with the despair that we too can lose people from the church almost by surprise.  I think we have all seen it.  A longtime believer, or even pastor, up and leaves the faith.  A family who you have seen at church for years is no longer around.  It is almost as if suddenly, these branches just fall from their faith.  But there is GOOD NEWS and a slight fallacy in my comparison.

Scientists do not know how to prevent sudden branch drop syndrome.  But Jesus knows how to keep us, His branches, from suddenly falling away from Him.  We find that answer back in John 15:5-8.  It reads:

5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

Remain in Him!  Jesus is the vine that feeds us, the branches.  Do not wander away from His teachings.  Seek Him out daily through scripture and prayer.  Write His words on your heart.  And when the days are tough make sure you have another believer there by your side to help hold you up.  Fortunately for you and I, if we remain in Jesus, we are not at risk of sudden branch drop syndrome.  Have no fear of that!  Jesus feeds us through His words and if you drink them up, you will remain STRONG and MIGHTY clinging to Him even during the worst storms!

Over the past year it has become easier than ever to become disconnected from other believers.  Most in person gatherings are shutdown leaving some to fend off sin on their own.  Divisiveness over the pandemic and politics is taking a stronghold even in our body of believers.  Fear is pushing others away at a time when we as a body of believers should be coming closer together.  Please work hard to remain in Him!  Hold fast to Jesus Christ the one who feeds us!  Grab a group of friends and work together to stay strong and remain in Him!  And please don’t get distracted.  It is not masks, or vaccines, or political parties, or even money that keeps our faith healthy.  It is Jesus!  As He says in John 15:5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”

Have a blessed day!  Thanks for spending some time with me today.  Let’s work together as MEN ON THE ROOF to ensure NO MAN IS LEFT BEHIND!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2022 Back Porch League Annual Story in the Standings

  The sun is shining, and the sweat is rolling as I sit here on our Back Porch today.   The All Star game is over and in our league as in ...