Monday, March 1, 2021

Jump on in! God will guide you!

Learning how to swim takes some knowledge on technique to keep your head above the water.  You can listen to an instructor teach you how to swim.  You can practice your strokes in the water with your feet on or near the bottom of the pool.  You can even put on a flotation device that will help keep you afloat while practicing.  But at some point, you must trust your skills and jump into the deep end and swim.  Your life will never be the same after you take that first plunge into the water and swim safely to the other side! 

A few years ago, one of our friend’s son joined us at our neighborhood pool.  His parents warned us that he was still learning to swim and to keep a close eye on him.  Pools can be very dangerous for anybody who does not know how to swim.  They can also be a lot of fun!  I watched this young boy jump in a few times and he quickly navigated himself back to the edge of the pool each time.  He was nervous and anxious before each leap.  His knees wobbled before he jumped and as he hit the water, his arms and legs thrashed in desperation to keep his head above water.  I could tell he knew how to swim.  He just lacked confidence.  So, I said to him, “Just swim out to me and I’ll catch you”.  He did this a few times and his confidence grew.  He began to trust that I would be there to help, and he started believing in his skills as a swimmer.  I decided it was his time!  I was in my place to catch him about 8 feet from the edge.  He jumped in and as he swam to me, I moved backwards slowly.  He kept swimming towards me knowing that I was near.  I kept moving backwards as he got closer to me, staying close enough to reassure him that he was safe.  He kept swimming.  Stroke by stroke he swam to me.  Stroke by stroke I led him all the way to the other side of the pool.  I moved out of the way and let him finish on his own!  For the rest of the day, that boy swam all over the pool!

I believe this story is a great visual for our journeys as Christians.  We can read the manual (the Bible) on how to live a Christian life and learn from instructors.  We can practice prayer and worship in a safe place just like the experience of putting on a flotation device in the pool.  Early on in our walks with Christ, we might even jump in and serve Him in a setting that will allow us to get back to “safety” quickly if needed.  But if we really want to experience the fullness and joy of Jesus, we need to trust Him and jump in fully!  These are not my words.  These are His words.  We read in Proverbs 3:5-6:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

It is really that simple.  In all your ways submit to Jesus, jump in, and trust Him will all your heart and He will make your paths straight!  Just like that boy did in the pool with me.  He put aside his understanding of what it took to swim across the treacherous waters of the pool, he put his trust in me, and I led him safely across the pool.  Jumping in with full trust of the Lord will look different for each of us.  For some it may be turning over control of your thoughts and desires to Him completely.  A few may find they are ready to answer His call into full time ministry.  For me, I’m ready to turn over every minute of every day to God so that I am aware of His presence in even the smallest parts of my life.  Men, with this type of biblical obedience, God is sure to set us on a straight path.  A path that will ultimately lead us and those around us straight to Him in Heaven!   

I hope today finds you on a path of learning and growing in what it means to be a Christian.  If not please let me know and I can introduce you to Jesus who loves you.  You may be studying God’s word, worshiping Him constantly, and even seeking out mentors to help mold your walk with Christ.  But I can say with great confidence, you need to submit in all your ways to Him for you to truly experience the fullness He has to offer.  Once you do this, a smile will stretch across your face and you will be able to navigate any waters with confidence just as that young boy did in our small pool not long ago!

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2022 Back Porch League Annual Story in the Standings

  The sun is shining, and the sweat is rolling as I sit here on our Back Porch today.   The All Star game is over and in our league as in ...