Monday, April 20, 2020

Cure the "quarantine blues" with a rainbow


I don’t know about you but I’m getting the “quarantine blues”.  The highs and lows of the stay-at-home order have leveled off and now I’m settling into our new routine.  This is good but the mundane and isolation is wearing on me.  But I have good news.  I think I found out what I needed today.  I need to see a rainbow!  Let me explain….

On Saturday, July 20th, 2013 at 6:38am I started out on an 11-mile run.  The forecast called for rain, but I needed to stay on my training plan.  That morning I left the house, headed north down Switzer Rd. and was going to catch the trails back west and loop back home.  When I started running west down 119th St. from Switzer, I was stopped in my tracks by a glorious site, a full, bright rainbow.  This one was a little different from most that I've seen in my life.  It was ahead of the storm and not after it and it was truly horizon to horizon.  Amazing, truly amazing!  I stopped just west of Switzer (only a few miles into my run) to capture this imagine with my phone.  After some pictures I kept going on my run.  Immediately a wave of love and peace overcame me.  Here I was all alone on this summer morning and God was displaying for me His powerful beauty and His covenant with us.  I wanted to run with my hands lifted high to Him.  I was filled with energy and peace.  I could run towards this view forever.  For the next 2-3 miles I stared at this rainbow.  For the next few miles a few tears ran down my face because I was overwhelmed by what was happening in that moment.  Full, bright, colorful, and stretching from horizon to horizon this wondrous miracle gave me life.  Again, I stopped to take in and capture this image on my phone and at that instance I saw this rainbow as a finish line gate.  You might be familiar with a finish line gate.  At the end of a race or course there is an arch or sign that marks the end.  This rainbow became a symbol in that moment of the ultimate finish line - Heaven!  God used our alone time and His world to show me Him and what I should run towards in my life.  Wow was this a great run!  I hadn't even realized I covered 3 miles by the time I had to turn and run toward the sunrise because my mind was so involved in the atmosphere that my eyes were taking in.  That was a few miles I will never forget!  On a small side note it was supposed to be hot that day, so I got out early to finish my run.  God provided some cooling rain on my 11.5 mile run that day along with the finish line rainbow view.  He sure was good to me and He always is.




Have you been experiencing the “quarantine blues” too?  Has the excitement or drudgery of a new routine settled?  Do you long to see another friendly face, shake somebody’s hand, or even embrace a relative?  If so, you are not alone.  I’m right there by your side waiting.  And God is right there too.  All throughout the Bible we are reminded that God is walking alongside us and at the same time preparing a way for us.  He provided direction and protection for the Israelites as they fled Egypt during the Exodus, He sent Jesus to die for us and prepare our path to Heaven, and He even brought us the Holy Spirit to be our daily guide.  He is here.  He always has been here, and He always will be here.  If you find yourself with the “quarantine blues” look to God for His rainbow.  He showed me a special one on my morning run in July of 2013.  Today I pray that His words through me may offer you a reminder of His covenants with us.  Don’t lose hope.  God is good all the time and all the time God is good!  I just needed a rainbow to remind me of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2022 Back Porch League Annual Story in the Standings

  The sun is shining, and the sweat is rolling as I sit here on our Back Porch today.   The All Star game is over and in our league as in ...