Happy Monday!
We are
now going on 8 weeks of change and challenges with the Covid-19 shutdown. I know I’ve been challenged through this
experience and I believe I’m learning something new about myself weekly. These past 8 weeks have brought on many new
opportunities for each of us and I pray that you are all growing stronger as
men through this experience.
Today I have a question for you. Have you ever “freaked out”? To put it another way, using the words of
Merriam-Webster dictionary, have you ever “yielded to mental or emotional
stress”? I have. I have many, many times in my life. One example would be the very first time my
first child, Ava, slept through the night.
I woke up, after a full night’s sleep, to find that I had just slept
through the night and she did not once wake up.
The fear and concern of what might have happened rushed over me (as a
parent you hear about so many dangers to kids as they are sleeping it almost
overwhelms you). Extremely worried I
rushed to her crib only to find her happy and ready for the day. I was momentarily freaked out. Another example happened within the past few
months. More than once I’ve found myself
pushing around a shopping cart in grocery store searching for items that I
didn’t “need” at the time but was told that the supplies were running low. I was giving in to the emotional stress of
the Covid-19 pandemic and searching for items I thought were needed for my
family. I was freaking out and responded
accordingly. In both examples, I was responding
to emotional stress, a.k.a. freaking out, and acted in ways that were
traditionally uncharacteristic for me.
And that is okay.
It's okay to be freaked out.
God knows we worry and stress.
God knows we will act in response to our fears from time to time. God knows we freak out and during those times
He’s right there waiting for us. He’s
not going to slap our wrist and tell us to not do that again in the moment. He’s not going to laugh and watch you
struggle. He is going to reach out, grab
your hand, and lead you out of your state of stress. I believe this because the bible says it’s
so. In Matthew 14 Jesus’ disciples where
on a boat in a lake when Jesus walked out on the water towards them. Peter, at the direction of Jesus, hopped out
of the boat and began walking on the water towards Jesus. All was well until Peter noticed the wind and
“freaked out”. He began to sink but
instantly Jesus reached out His hand and grabbed Peter. Jesus didn’t let Peter drown; He lent a hand
when Peter needed one.
If you are like me, you’ve freaked out a few times in your
life. You may be in one of those
emotionally stressful moments right now.
Have faith my friend! God is
right there beside you and has a gentle hand ready to reach out and grab your
very hand. He will gracefully pull you
up out of the raging waves and show you a peaceful comfort only He can provide.
Please enjoy the attached picture of a painting called "The Hand of God" by artist Yongsung Kim.

No comments:
Post a Comment