Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Love overshadowed a moment of success!


Men,
I hope you are doing well today!  I need to apologize for this weekly share being a day late (and for missing last week too).  I was on an anniversary retreat with my wife over the weekend and didn’t plan ahead for checking in on you all.  For that I am sorry…the checking in on you late that is.  Today I want to share with you a very proud father moment that I experienced on Friday.  What I witnessed my oldest daughter do not only brought joy to my heart, but I think it also applies to what our country is seeing these past few days as well.  Allow me to explain.

My daughter is part of an educational community that participates in a mock trial every year.  This is where students from two communities study a past court case, learn various methods for prosecuting and defending their side in a court of law, and then come together in a real court room in front of a real judge.  My daughter’s team first served as the defense in the mock trial and then they switched sides and did it again with them as the prosecution team.  They had months to study the case and prepare with one another.  Last Friday the two teams came together with a judge from Olathe (on Zoom because of social distancing).  I was blown away by what I witnessed from my 14-year-old daughter when she served on the prosecution.

My daughter works very hard!  She began studying this court case the day she received it.  She immediately grabbed some books from the library too and soaked in anything she could about operating in a court setting.  She’s an avid reader and very confident in her knowledge.  She’s good speaking in public and is comfortable questioning the why and the how.  I’m not bragging.  I am very proud of her and want you to understand why I was so blown away by her performance Friday.  Her role on the prosecution team was to cross examine the key witness to the defense.  I watched this cross examination like you’d imagine a dad would in any stands.  I was pacing, smiling, and pumping my hands in the air at how well she was discrediting the witness.  She was tough but respectful and stuck to the facts.  I was proud of her.  Other parents were texting saying “I wouldn’t want to be in an argument with her”.  She was executing the role well but with professionalism but mentioned the witness was about ready to cry.  Even the judge at the end mentioned she tore apart the witness’s testimony.  It was done with class and her hard work paid off.  But that didn’t blow me away.  When she was finished with her cross examination, she put her computer on mute and said out loud “I feel so bad”.  My heart jumped for joy and to be honest my eyes are watering as I write this.

Her first response to her own performance was compassion for a fellow person!  After training hard and then executing her plan, she could have smiled and been proud of her work.  She was proud of her work, but I so love that her heart felt compassion for the other girl she had just cross examined.  It took my daughter months to prepare for this mock trial, but she’s been training for years and years to have compassion.  Love won on Friday!

This experience is a good reminder for us that our character is shaped and molded over the course of our lifetime.  We train daily for the tasks we need to do in our jobs and in even in our roles as husbands, fathers, and community members.  As a man it’s easy for us to think task oriented.  It’s harder for us to remember that our character is being shaped daily by how we do our tasks, by how we speak to our family, by what we allow our minds to see and read, and by whom we surround ourselves with.  We need to daily work towards being more like Jesus.  We need to train in His ways, learn from His word, and bask in prayer with Him!  Only then can we do just as my daughter did on Friday…exemplify the character of Christ through our actions.  We can’t simply study quickly to be the men of God we are asked to be.  We need to live daily with Him and then, through us and through our actions, His light will shine so brightly in darkness that encompasses us!  Our world needs more of His love and light today!

Thanks for hearing my heart and in any way possible help me make sure NO MAN IS LEFT BEHIND today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2022 Back Porch League Annual Story in the Standings

  The sun is shining, and the sweat is rolling as I sit here on our Back Porch today.   The All Star game is over and in our league as in ...