Monday, February 8, 2021

Teaching your teenager to drive can remind you to trust in God with all your heart!

Our oldest daughter is learning to drive.  She is doing wonderful at it but as you can imagine, there is a lot to learn as well.  I was riding along with her on Sunday and teaching her the skill of preparing for the next decision with the vehicle.  She was doing a great job focusing on the immediate surroundings of the van, but she needed to improve on preparing for the next turn or stop ahead.  We covered all the signs and painted lines that outlined her options.  We discussed moving in the correct lane ahead of time to prepare for a right turn or left turn.  We even sat at a stop light and analyzed the 4-5 decisions she had to make before proceeding when the light turned green (what lane she was turning to, were any cars coming, how many cross-walks did she have to watch, was her blinker on).  I don’t think she was overwhelmed with all the planning and decisions that go into driving a car down a simple street.  I just think I underestimated all the information we have when driving around our city.

If you went for a drive in your car today, you would see many signs to guide your path and you can plan accordingly.  You can look ahead and notice if the stop light is red, yellow or green.  The big green signs tell you your exit is just 2 miles ahead.  Flashing lights warn you of an accident that may delay or change your route.  Even technology today (your phone or GPS) can tell you that your planned route is closed or has construction and it will recommend a new path.  When driving we have access to a ton of detailed, specific information that will allow us to arrive at our destination quickly and safely.  I sure wished that was the case for my walk with Christ!

My Bible is the perfect reference on how to be a Christian.  It teaches me how to live a life that follows in the footsteps of Jesus.  I have access to a church and leaders and fellow believers who will even help me understand what the word of God teaching me.  And every minute of every day the Holy Spirit lives within me to guide my Christian walk.  Psalm 119:110 even reminds us that:

“Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path”

This knowledge teaches me how to drive my “car”.  So why can’t there be something in my life that will tell me if there any accidents ahead or if I will encounter any detours?  I want to be in control of my path so I can avoid any detours and prevent any stops along the way.  I know what’s best for me!  God had something to say to me about that.  I was looking for the wrong thing.  God wants me to look to Him to guide my path.  He wants me to turn over the wheel so that He can navigate me.  I guess GPS really stands “God Provided the Spirit”.  I need to listen to it just like Proverbs 3:5-6 says:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

We have everything we need to navigate life as Christians.  We have God’s inspired word written down in 66 books of the Bible.  Hebrews 12 reminds us “we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses”.  And let us not forget that the Holy Spirit lives in us to be our GPS here every single day.  It is not easy to stay true to all this knowledge we have.  And, if you can avoid my mistake of trying to control my path, you can have peace knowing the God will make your path straight.  And even better, one day that path will lead you right into His loving arms in Heaven.

I started out Sunday afternoon wanting to impart my vast wisdom of driving upon my daughter so she can be a better driver herself.  For the most part I believe that happened.  Little did I know that that drive would prove to be just as educational to me.  Sunday afternoon on the streets of Overland Park, God reminded that I am supposed to turn control of my life over to Him.  I was searching for ways I could navigate my life as a Christian when all He really wants me to do is trust in Him and lean not on my own understanding.  I am very excited to see what I learn during our next driving lesson!

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2022 Back Porch League Annual Story in the Standings

  The sun is shining, and the sweat is rolling as I sit here on our Back Porch today.   The All Star game is over and in our league as in ...