Did you know Mother’s Day is this coming Sunday? If you have a mom in your life or know a mom, reach out to them this week and with them a Happy Mother’s Day. It is very easy to overlook everything a mom does, especially if that mom stays at home to care for the family.
I wanted to take some time this week to let you know how important my mom, Jenny, and the mother of my children, Andrea, have been to me and my spiritual walk. Without both in my life, I’m not for sure where I would be in my relationship with Jesus. Their stability and constant faith during my life set me on track and put me right at the feet of our Heavenly Father.
I always remember going to church growing up. We lived in Osborne, KS and we attended the
Catholic
Church there. I say “the” Catholic Church because in small towns there usually is only one. Most likely every Sunday we would put on nice clothes and head to mass. I remember sitting in the pews listening the priest speak and I have vivid memories is sitting through a simple lesson in Catechism (Sunday School). Through my 8th grade year I lived with my mom and attended church with her. I can’t recall the day that I accepted Jesus into my heart. I remember my first communion. I remember going to church. I remember praying to God. I have always known Jesus was the Son of God and I have never thought otherwise. My mom helped lay a foundation of Christian faith in my life. She made sure we were introduced to Jesus from an early age and that foundation helped guide my life ever since. Thank you, mom, so much for giving me that opportunity! I do not know where I would be today without your discipleship.
Through my high school years and into my early years of college, I was on my own for spiritual leadership. My church attendance was dependent upon what my friends were doing that week or if there was a girl I was smitten for. The only consistency I had came from the foundation laid out for me through my mom in those earlier years. As you might be able to guess, this was a reckless approach to my walk with Jesus and could have been disastrous. I am very thankful that God brought me Andrea towards the end of my first year of college. Once again, I was smitten on this beautiful girl from western Kansas. I followed her everywhere. She took me to church with her and made sure it was a part of our relationship. As our relationship grew so did our dependence upon God. We talked about God. We learned about God. We sang about God! Through the Holy Spirit and with a little help from Winans Phase 2 (a fun story I can share another time), I eventually put God first in my life over everything, even Andrea. From that day forward I have continued to pursue Jesus more and more. I eventually convinced her to marry me and she became the mother to our four beautiful children. Now she is laying that same consistent foundation in our kids that I received from my mom.
I wanted to share my story with you today so you could see just how important mothers can be in our faith walks. When Mother’s Day comes around each year, we are reminded to show thanks for all that they have done for us or our children. This year I wanted to make sure I made it a point to thank my mom and my wife for the most important thing that they’ve done for me. They have consistently guided and fostered my walk with Jesus over my life. If you have a mom in your life that has done the same for you, please let them know that this year.
Mom and Andrea, from the bottom of my heart THANK YOU for making sure I came to know Jesus! Because of you I know Jesus and am also doing what I can to disciple others along the way! Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:
Post a Comment