I am a product of the ‘90s. My understanding of music, television, sports, and even fashion (or lack-there-of) was largely influenced by what I was exposed to during those pivotal years in junior high and high school. Some of you may disagree with me on this, but the ‘90s is one of the greatest decades ever! Alternative music and hip hop came alive. The New York Yankees were dominant in baseball. We even got to live most of the decade without the internet and just be kids! If you do not know what it is like to NOT have social media and constant internet access, then you are missing out on a great way to experience life. The 1990s also gave us WWJD bracelets. That is right. The simple bracelet that you wore to keep you out of all of life’s troubles. I have attached a picture of my 1990s WWJD bracelet.
WWJD stands for “What would Jesus do?”. The idea behind these bracelets is for you to wear it on your wrist and it would be your moral guide. It may sound simple but if you ask yourself “What would Jesus do?” before acting on anything, you might just behave differently. The only catch to this simplicity is that you have an idea of how Jesus would act or respond. Luckily, we have the Bible for this reference; a 66-book love letter for us to learn from. And, we know from John 14 that God sent us the Holy Spirit to live in us and be our guide. There you have it! Simply tie your WWJD bracelet around your wrist and let the Spirit guide you. I bet you are glad you read this email today so that all your problems can be solved! It is not that easy and yet at the exact same time it is.
Responding like Jesus can only happen if you seek to know how He would respond. Before you send that next challenging email or email response, ask Jesus how He would respond. Before you sign your name on the new mortgage, ask Jesus how He would respond. Before you comment on a recent Facebook or Twitter post about Covid-19 or gender identity, ask Jesus how He would comment. Before you open an internet browser and hit ‘search’ for any topic, ask Jesus would He search for that same thing. Before you turn on the TV and start watching a show/movie when nobody is around, ask Jesus if He would watch it too. Before you start talking with a friend about another person, ask Jesus what He would say. These are just a few examples for how you and I can live out the notion behind the WWJD bracelet. No, it is not an easy task. But, if you are intentional and want to live a life that reflects that of Jesus, then this is an approach you will take every day in your life. I can honestly say that my actions change, and sometimes change drastically, when I think about Jesus being right by my side. His constant presence helps me act more and more like Him. I just need to remember that He is there and that the Spirit is eager to guide me.
I want to challenge each of you for this next week to ask, “What would Jesus do?” in everything you do. I hope that not much will change for you. But, if you are like me, you too could use a little positive guidance from time to time. Imagine how the last 12 months would have looked differently if everybody in the world asked that same simple question “What would Jesus do?” before acting.

No comments:
Post a Comment