Monday, July 13, 2020

Praying TODAY with an urgent mindset

How are you doing TODAY?  Everyday is a new day and I hope that today you can find renewed energy and hope that this day will be great.

Many times, I catch myself praying without urgency.  Can you relate?  I’m not a fan of conflict so when I come to God with an urgent prayer, I often soften it up knowing that He’ll hear and act in His own time.  I know that may sound silly.  God asks us to come to Him with our prayers and I shouldn’t be afraid to just come out and be brutally honest with Him.  He loves me no matter what! 

A few years ago, I tweaked the Lord’s Prayer a little to remind myself that God was right there listening at the very moment I said it every time.  Jesus shared with the disciples in Matthew 6 how he wanted them to pray.  This prayer has come to be known as the Lord’s Prayer and many of us have heard it.  Here is my modified version:

Our Father, who art in heaven TODAY,
hallowed be your name TODAY,
your kingdom come TODAY;
your will be done TODAY;
on earth, TODAY, as it is in heaven, TODAY.
Give us TODAY our daily bread.
And forgive us our sins TODAY,
as we forgive those TODAY, who trespass against us TODAY.
And lead us not into temptation TODAY;
but deliver us from evil TODAY.

Praying the Lord’s Prayer in this manner has really helped me remember that God is listening and possibly acting at that very moment.  Here’s how I see it.  He is in Heaven TODAY, right now!  I’m praying for His kingdom to come and His will be done TODAY!  I’m asking Him for His word TODAY!  I’m reminded that my sin is forgiven TODAY, not tomorrow or later, but TODAY.  I’m committing to forgive others TODAY (not tomorrow) who sin against me TODAY.  And I’m asking Him not to just lead me from temptation but lead me from it TODAY! 

I hope you feel encouraged today.  No matter what you may be going through at this very moment, God is with you RIGHT NOW and His love is surrounding you!  If you are skilled in the habit of praying with an urgent mindset, keep it up and let me know how you do it.  If you are like me and need some nudging to go to Him with unbridled passion, I hope that my modified version of the Lord’s Prayer can be helpful for you like it has been for me.  I am grateful Jesus gave us the Lord’s Prayer and I’m grateful He is listening at the very moment we pray that prayer.




No comments:

Post a Comment

2022 Back Porch League Annual Story in the Standings

  The sun is shining, and the sweat is rolling as I sit here on our Back Porch today.   The All Star game is over and in our league as in ...