I hope you had a wonderful Independence Day weekend! My family was fortunate enough to enjoy the
day together playing and enjoying some fresh air. 2020 continues to be a year different than
any other year in my short lifetime. It
has been stressful at times to say the least.
And in that stress, many of us have found ourselves on opposite sides of
discussions with friends and family members.
My prayer is that we are all able to speak openly and honestly during
these times with words that reflect Jesus in every way.
Today I wanted to share with you some thoughts I’ve had
these past few weeks regarding the parable of the lost sheep. As I listen and read dialogue around civil
liberties, racism, Covid-19, masks, police, protests etc., the parable of the
lost sheep often comes up in the dialogue.
Many of us are familiar with that parable which can be found in Luke 15
and Matthew 18. Here is the passage from
Matthew.
Matthew 18:10-14 “See that you
do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in
heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven. “What do you think? If a man
owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the
ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he is happier about that
one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any
of these little ones should perish.
Often this parable is referenced to backup efforts supporting
an individual or group of individuals who are in the minority (whether that be
race, wealth, health risks, etc.). I
understand that application. I believe
Jesus wanted us to know that He cared so much about that single sheep who was
lost, that He would leave the others on the hills and go bring home that lost
sheep. His desire is that everyone is
brought to salvation in His name. It’s
easy for us to then say, if we are to be like Jesus, we too should help that
lost sheep. And we should! But we should also leave the 99 others
behind.
In the parable, I believe that the Shepard knew the other 99
sheep were safe. They were with Him. He was fine leaving them behind to go seek
the lost sheep. The parable does NOT say
that the Shepard brought with Him the 99 sheep through the thorny brush and dark
treacherous valley risking their lives as well.
He left them behind. Sometimes I
think we forget that part. We get very passionate
about saving the lost sheep and we take along others with us that might not be
ready for the journey. I hope I’m making
sense here. Every person on this earth
matters to Jesus! As Christians we are called
to help bring home the lost sheep. We
need to keep searching for those who are lost and sometimes that will mean, as
you go out on the journey, leaving others behind who are already in His
presence!
I hope that you heard my heart today. As always, I’d love to hear your feedback on
my thoughts or if there is anything that you’d like to share. Have a wonderful day and please help me
ensure that NO MAN or SHEEP IS LEFT BEHIND!

No comments:
Post a Comment