Men,
I hope today
finds you doing well! We are nearing a return
to in-person church. It will look different
from where we left off in March, but it is a step in a new direction. Are you getting excited to worship with
others in-person?
I love to
worship God through music! My passion
for music in general makes that type of worship come natural to me. Last week I wrote about bias when it comes to
rap music. This week I want to stay on
the theme of bias and using music to bring about that awareness in
ourselves. I may be stretching here but
please hear me out and let me know what you think.
Music comes
in all forms of genres and languages. Often,
I find myself judging a song based on its genre or style. I don’t often give a song a chance if it’s a
type of genre I don’t prefer. That’s not
necessarily a bad thing. But I also find
myself judging the person listening to the music strictly based on the musical
style and that is not right. I should
listen to their heart before making assumptions about them just like I should
listen to the lyrics of songs before I make a judgement of that song. Sometimes I simply fail at that.
This week I
created a playlist of songs on YouTube (see first link below). Every song (YouTube links listed below for
each song too) in this list is based on the exact same song, “Awesome God” written
by Rich Mullins and first recorded in 1988.
Can I challenge you to listen through each of these songs this week? While listening to each one, imagine it blaring
from the car next to you at a stop light.
Would you have an opinion of the person behind the wheel simply based on
their version of “Awesome God” or would you be able to hear the heart of the
song? It will take a little time to get
through each one, but I hope you enjoy this exercise. Let me know how it goes for you!
I firmly
believe if we each become aware of how we view others, we can work towards
seeing Jesus in others all the time. Everybody
was made in the image of our AWESOME God!
No matter how they look, the language they speak, or even what music
they play, each person was uniquely designed for His glory! Have a wonderful day and help me make sure that
NO MAN IS LEFT BEHIND! Enjoy the music…even
the version played on a recorder!
Playlist - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6DpQnGvbOE&list=PLfhIjy21vCj7blSKYbdCkzbIE_F8xfsua&index=2
What I
consider “traditional” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w2b033DXCw
Heavy Metal –
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6DpQnGvbOE
Metal Cover –
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL7hJxv5ScY
Orchestra – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIDBrCv5u00
Acapella – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xopH3jlfjg
Portuguese –
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLfQNa9EO3M
Guitar and
harmonica – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPtmAn8H69w
Saxophone – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNxSuFUeY9M
On the
recorder – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1EOOIS4RTw
No comments:
Post a Comment