You
may have caught my subtle reference to Psalm 23:4 which reads “Even
though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you
are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” A Shepard
carries a staff to gently guide his sheep, help them when they are in
trouble, and protect them from danger (for this discussion I’m assuming
the rod and staff are one tool with multiple purposes). I was working
through a devotional dialog on this Psalm 23 a few weeks ago and it
really made me think about the use of the Shepard’s staff. From the
perspective of the sheep who know the Shepard, they are comforted by the
presence of the staff. Those who do not follow the Shepard most likely
see the staff as a threat.
God
is our Shepard! He guides, helps, and protects us. Even in the
darkest of days we shall fear no evil when we are with Him. I have
friends and family who don’t know our Shepard. They have even confessed
they fear how God will change the life that they lead. I want them to
know that God is merely trying to reach out and help them. He’s not
trying to push them away. Like the rest of Psalm 23 teaches us, God
wants to guide His sheep to green pastures and beside quiet waters. He
wants to lead them along the right path for His name’s sake. My friends
and family who fear God need to know that His rod and His staff are
there to provide them comfort. Yes, there may be pain in leaving an old
life behind to follow God. But I believe that the pain is from thorns
and brush that rub up against us as God is using His staff to pull us up
out of harm’s way.
My
prayer this week is that God will use you and I to help others see the comforting Shepard that He is. May we
show love to those lost sheep so that they too can be led by the Shepard
near quiet waters and have their souls refreshed. Oh what a joy it
will be when that next lost sheep comes home!
Have a wonderful week and safe Independence Day and please help me make sure that NO SHEEP IS LEFT BEHIND!
No comments:
Post a Comment